Updated: Nov 28, 2019
First pick the right of rice, I strictly only use two types of rice (whatever you do just stay away from long grain rice, it sucks up moisture like a sponge and is just gross):
1. Basmati Rice - best for everything but fried rice.
2. Jasmine Rice - best for fried rice.
When cooking rice, there's really only three steps:
1. Washing rice - rinse the rice off under water in a bowl a few times until the water runs off clear. This is to remove starch which ruins the taste of the rice.
2. Seasoning - for jasmine rice i'd leave it plain except for a small amount of salt. Basmati rice, for curry dishes i would add a tsp of premade curry powder. For non curry dishes, i'd add a stock cube and some salt.
3. Cooking - you can boil rice in a saucepan on the hob but honestly a rice cooker will do it better, with less effort. Make sure you add a little bit of oil to the rice to stop it from sticking.
The Budget Student Cooking Blog
P.S Click here to get the rice cooker I've got.